CRI Documentation 1: Use of Force
The community made the revision of SFPD’s use of force policy a major priority, and the department responded. Department General Order 5.01, revised in December 2016, prioritizes the importance of human life, training, accountability and oversight of all department members. In the three years since, SFPD has reduced uses of force by 56 percent. All officers have received at least 10 hours of Crisis Intervention Team field tactics training and more than half of the department is now 40-hour CIT course certified. Our commitment to CIT training even inspired a member to lead the development of Critical Mindset Coordinated Response training further ensure positive outcomes. Learn more about CIT here.
We recognize this as important, ongoing work. In collaboration with community stakeholders and department members, we have continued to make major changes in how we log use of force and ensure supervisorial accountability. Currently 51 of our 58 use of force recommendations have been deemed substantially compliant by the California Department of Justice.
Our external partners continue to review our responses related to Use of Force. Recommendations determined to have met substantial compliance by the California Department of Justice will be posted online. Completion packets represent work completed over the last several years, and may contain slightly different forms as the process for approval has evolved to become more efficient. To view, please select from below:
Use of Force Key Documents
DB: Department Bulletin, DGO: Department General Order, NR: News Release (Department), MOU: Memorandum of Understanding
- DB 16-219 Department General Order 5.01, "Use of Force" Update Packet #54 (PDF)
- DB 17-108 Everbridge Notification System and Outside-Agency Responses to Critical Incidents (PDF)
- DB 18-171 Updated Supervisory Use of Force Evaluation Form(Supersedes DB 17-006, Amends DGO 5.01) (PDF)
- DGO 5.01 "Use of Force" (Revised 12/21/16) (PDF)
- NR 19-069 Media Relations Survey: Public Information Following an Officer Involved Shooting (PDF)
- NR 19-088 SFPD Release of Public Information Following an Officer Involved Shooting (PDF)
- MOU Between SFDA and SFPD - OIS, In-Custody Deaths, and UOF Resulting in SBI (PDF)
Objective 1 Archive
Below are the documents submitted to the Department of Justice prior to their withdrawal from the Collaborative Reform Process.