Shop safely this holiday season
The SFPD is working hard to keep you safe. During every holiday season, we increase our patrols and traffic enforcement in commercial districts. But wherever and whenever you go shopping, you can also do a lot to help protect yourself and your property.
Most importantly, Park Smart! Use parking lots with attendants whenever possible and avoid car break-ins by taking all your valuables with you, from small items such as cellphones to big ones, including backpacks. Don’t assume your possessions are safe in your car trunk – thieves are watching.
And remember these tips:
- It is easy to get distracted while shopping. Try to keep your eyes ahead of you and not on your phone.
- Keep your keys in your hand while approaching your car.
- Keep your wallet in a hard-to-reach place and don’t carry excess cash.
- If someone demands your purse, wallet, or packages, hand them over. Property can be replaced! Just make a note of the suspect’s description and where they are heading and call 9-1-1.
- “If you see something, say something.” If you witness criminal activity or see something or someone suspicious, flag down a police or security officer or call 9-1-1.
- Shop with a friend whenever possible, especially after dark.
- Stay alert while using ATMs or other electronic devices in public. Don’t let anyone else see your PIN and make sure to close out all transactions before you walk away from a teller machine.