Permits are necessary for any business that involves services such as towing, parking lots, garages, Pedicabs, bingo games, massage background checks, or sales other than food on city streets. SFPD is responsible for ensuring that these types of businesses abide by city regulations and investigating complaints against them.
Note: Permits for parades and other public events are available through the SFPD station in the district in which the event will be held. Please click here to visit our station directory.
We are open to the public; appointments are required for all applicants.
Hearings are held every Wednesday @ 1 p.m. unless otherwise posted. We are now holding VIRTUAL HEARINGS on Microsoft Teams or by dialing in at 415-553-1115.
For specific hearing information, please scroll down and click on Hearing Calendar.
To obtain a police permit for your business:
- Contact the Police Permits Unit by email at [email protected] or by calling (415) 553-1115.
- You must apply for the permit in person, by appointment only. The Police Permits Unit is located at 850 Bryant Street, Room 505. Our business hours are Monday through Friday, from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM and from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM.
- You must present a valid photo ID and may need to be fingerprinted to verify that you have no criminal record.
- You will need to pay a non-refundable fee that will vary according to the business. We accept checks or money orders only, no cash or credit cards. You may also need to have some of your supporting documents notarized.
At least one month after you apply for your permit, you will need to attend a hearing. Hearings are held virtually on Wednesdays at 1:00 PM on Microsoft Teams. Hearings will be virtual until further notice due to the COVID-19 pandemic - we appreciate your cooperation.
- Click here to learn more about the SFPD hearing procedures.
- Click here to learn about the SFPD permit hearing rules.
SFPD Permit Forms
These will be provided to you upon request once an appointment has been established
In addition, we also issue commercial parking garages and commercial parking lot permits. Please note, A, B, E, K3, and L are required for approvals for both. (MPC Section 1215)
For more information, visit the Police Permits Unit:
850 Bryant Street, Room 505
San Francisco, CA 94103
Email: [email protected]