Permits are necessary for any business that involves services such as towing, parking lots, garages, Pedicabs, bingo games, massage background checks or sales other than food on city streets. SFPD is responsible for ensuring that these types of businesses abide by city regulations and investigating complaints against them.
Note: Permits for parades and other public events are available through the SFPD station in the district in which the event will be held.
To obtain a police permit for your business:
- Fill out and print an online application by clicking on the links below or obtain one at the Police Permits Bureau.
- You must apply for the permit in person. The Police Permits Bureau is located at 850 Bryant Street, Room 505. Our business hours are Monday through Friday, from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM and from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM.
- You must present a valid photo ID and may need to be fingerprinted to verify that you have no criminal record.
- You will need to pay a non-refundable fee that will vary according to the business. We accept checks or money orders only, no cash or credit cards. You may also need to have some of your supporting documents notarized.
At least one month after you apply for your permit, you will need to attend a hearing. Hearings are held on Wednesdays at 1:00 PM in Room 551 at 850 Bryant Street.
- Click here to learn more about the SFPD hearing procedures.
- Click here to learn about the SFPD permit hearing rules.
SFPD Permit Forms
If you are applying for a permit for a commercial parking lot or garage, these forms and sample documents will give you an idea of the kinds of information we will need to obtain:
- 2018 Commercial Parking Permit Checklist
- Commercial Parking Lots and Garages Application
- Security Plan
- Sample of Insurance and Endorsement Page
- Sample of Declaration
Other Permit Application Forms:
- Pedicab Operator
- Tow Car Firm
- Tow Car Operator
- Permit Application and Letter of Intent, for permits other than those listed above.
Permits for parades and other public events are available through the SFPD station in the district in which the event will be held.
For more information, visit the Police Permits Bureau:
850 Bryant Street, Room 505
San Francisco, CA 94103