Keeping you safe on the fly
The SFPD Airport Bureau oversees 181 employees who work together with several other law enforcement agencies to help protect travelers and employees at the San Francisco International Airport (SFO). It provides a full range of basic police services: assisting travelers, helping enforce local, state, and federal laws and playing a key role in the airport’s capacity to respond to emergencies.
The bureau, which was established in 1997, works closely with the San Francisco International Airport Administration, San Mateo Sheriff’s Office, Transportation Security Administration, Federal Aviation Administration, United States Customs and Border Patrol, Federal Bureau of Investigations, United States Secret Service, US Federal Air Marshals and other regional local, state and federal law enforcement agencies.
Airport Bureau members perform a number of functions on a 24-hour basis, including:
- Uniformed patrols on foot, bicycle and Segway;
- Motorized patrols by car and motorcycle;
- K-9 patrols and explosives detection;
- Vehicular traffic collision investigations;
- Vehicular and pedestrian traffic control and management;
- Security for U.S. and international dignitaries;
- Cargo theft enforcement, abatement and investigation;
- Lost and found services;
- Customer service;
- Airfield access control and perimeter security; and
- Investigation services with the San Mateo Sheriff’s Office detectives.
The San Francisco Police Department -Airport Bureau can be reached at 1-650-821-7111.