Salary: $21.93/hour; $3,802/month; $45,630/year
The San Francisco Police Department Cadet program is designed to provide a service for the City of San Francisco, the Police Department and the Community that it serves. A Police Cadet is considered a future leader in the community. The goals of the Police Cadet program are to expose men and women to the various aspects of police work in order to prepare them for a career in law enforcement. The Police Cadet program helps to provide quality candidates for all law enforcement related positions including, but not limited to: Police Officer, Community Police Services Aide or 911 Dispatcher.
A structured program has been established to promote Police Cadets duties and responsibilities. The Police Cadet expectations are high morals, excelling academically, using good judgment, and being active in the community. Police Cadets provide assistance to the San Francisco Police Department in many different ways and they act as a liaison between the police and youth in our community.
General Position Description
Under direct supervision, performs a variety of civilian field and office law enforcement duties in direct support of safety and non-safety personnel to include but not limited to:
- Perform clerical duties such as ordering, receiving and distributing supplies, processing mail, preparing reports, indexing and filing criminal records and correspondences
- May direct and control traffic
- Monitor walk-through metal detectors and video surveillance equipment in building security assignments
- Search handbags, briefcases, backpacks and other containers
- Provide directions and other information to persons entering public buildings
- Provide first aid and CPR in case of life threatening emergencies
- Performs traffic and pedestrian control as directed;
- Participates in crime prevention activities such as neighborhood watch meetings, school and community group presentations, and Police Department building tours;
- Maintains records and retrieves information;
- Attends weekend and/or evening training sessions;
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities not requiring Peace Officer powers
Cadet Rotations and Training Assignments
- Public Safety Building
- District Station
- Record Destruction
- Field Operations Bureau
- Police Academy
- Other Duties and Assignments as needed
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Learn the organization and functions of a Police Department
- Techniques for courteously dealing with the public in a tactful, but firm, manner
- Communicate orally with people of diverse education, social and ethnic backgrounds
- Learn, understand and apply applicable police department rules, regulations, instructions, laws, ordinances, policies, practices and methods
- Work courteously with the general public on the telephone and in person
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions
- Walk and/or stand for log periods of time
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- High School Diploma / G.E.D.
- Currently enrolled in college with 12 units
- Minimum G.P.A of 2.
- Valid Driver's License
If you have any questions regarding the Cadet Program, please call 1-415-837-7277.