Salary and Benefits
Salary $89,856 - $135,096/year
A Police Officer works 40 hours per week on different shifts and overtime may be required. San Francisco offers excellent benefits and the current starting salary is $89,856 per year. After seven years of service a Police Officer may earn up to $135,096 per year. You will receive comprehensive training, at your full starting salary.
Police Officer Duties Include But Are Not Limited To:
- Patrolling their districts, responding to calls for service, conducting investigations, writing reports, pursuing and detaining suspects, and making arrests.
- Participating in community policing programs.
- Enforcing traffic and parking laws.
- Preparing for and participating in planned events.
- Preparing for and attending court.
- Participating in self-development activities and attending training.
Police Officer's Benefits:
- 10 paid vacation days a year during the first five years of service.
- 15 paid vacation days a year during the next 10 years of service.
- 20 paid vacation days a year after 15 years of service.
- 4 floating holidays.
- 13 paid sick days a year and several healthcare plans.
- Bilingual pay and special assignment pay.
- Retirement benefits: 3% of final compensation per year of service at age 58, with a maximum of 90% benefit based on years of service.
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5% - 13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact your departmental personnel officer.