Update on SFPD Officer Elia Lewin-Tankel, Critically Injured By Fleeing Suspect 17-163

Ofc. Lewin-Tankel   Ofc. Lewin-Tankel

(As of November 13, 2017 at 9:38 AM)

San Francisco Police Officer Elia Lewin-Tankel was transferred this morning to another medical facility to continue treatment for his injuries. His family wishes to thank the public for their continued support and asks for privacy at this time.

(As of October 20, 2017 at 1:02 PM)

As of the morning of Friday, October 20, 2017, Tenderloin Station Officer Elia Lewin-Tankel remains in critical condition the intensive care unit of Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital.

Elia’s family today expressed their gratitude for the outpouring of support from the San Francisco community, and asked for privacy at this time as they work towards his recovery.

(As of October 19, 2017 at 7:12 PM)

On Thursday, October 19, 2017, San Francisco Police Chief William Scott spoke to reporters outside Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital to provide an update on the condition of 32 year-old Tenderloin Station Officer Elia Lewin-Tankel.

Ofc. Tankel was critically injured Wednesday, October 18, 2017 after a fleeing suspect’s vehicle struck the bicycle patrol officer on the mid-block of Turk Street between Van Ness Avenue and Franklin Street.

Chief Scott’s statement is below:

Yesterday’s horrific event involving Officer Elia Lewin-Tankel is a reminder of the dangers that law enforcement officers face every day as we perform our sworn to duty to protect our City.

Our police family has responded admirably with great spirit, strength, and resolve to support each other and Elia’s wife and family.

Currently, Elia remains in the intensive care unit.

As Elia continues on his road to recovery, it is important and uplifting to remember that he is a fighter and survivor in every sense of the word. This fight is not over.

I’d like to now read a statement from Elia’s wife:

“If Elia was writing this, he would want to say that he is like every other cop working in San Francisco- he goes to work every day to protect and serve his community.

He does this with heart and with passion.

At the end of the day, like any other officer, he wants to come home to his family.

Elia is a symbol of strength. It’s in his blood. This situation will be no different.

This is not the end of Elia’s story.

Please, please send him positive energy and love.

He deserves it and he will no doubt get through this.”

Elia’s family and the men and women of the San Francisco Police Department want to thank the public, Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital, City leaders and our law enforcement partners for their outpouring of support during this trying time.

We ask that you continue to support Elia and his family in your thoughts and prayers as he works toward recovery.

Thank you.

I’ll now provide some details about the ongoing investigation.

Investigators yesterday afternoon took into custody 50 year-old Maurice A. Johnson.

He is charged with:

  • Attempted murder
  • Use of a deadly weapon commissioned of a felony
  • Assault with a deadly weapon on a peace officer
  • Inflict great bodily injury on another in the commission of a felony
  • Battery with serious bodily injury
  • Resisting arrest causing great bodily injury
  • Stolen auto
  • Felony possession of stolen property
  • Felony evading, causing serious bodily injury
  • Reckless driving causing injury
  • Felony evading a peace officer
  • Unlicensed driver
  • Resisting/delaying a peace officer

At this time, we are not releasing a booking photo due to pending identification matters.

(As of October 19, 2017 at 2:14 PM)

The family of Officer Elia Lewin-Tankel and SFPD members today received updates from Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital staff on the officer’s medical status. Ofc. Lewin-Tankel, assigned to Tenderloin Station, was on a bicycle beat Wednesday, October 18th, 2017, when he was struck by a fleeing suspect’s vehicle on the mid-block of Turk Street between Van Ness Avenue and Franklin Street. After undergoing surgery yesterday, Ofc. Lewin-Tankel remains in critical condition in the intensive care unit.

Elia Lewin-Tankel, 32 years of age, began his career with the San Francisco Police Department in 2012 and worked at several stations before being permanently assigned to Tenderloin Station in March 2016. Elia chose to be assigned to Tenderloin Police Station which is one of the busiest, most demanding districts, a testament to his dedication to serving the residents of San Francisco.

During his five years with the Department, Elia has been recognized numerous times for outstanding police work. In 2015, Elia was the recipient of SFPD’s Purple Heart Award as the result of an incident in which he was injured as a direct result of actions he took to prevent serious injury or loss of life to members of the community.

Elia is well-liked and respected by all his colleagues and is a valued member of the Department. Elia recently started law school and teaches Jiu Jitsu to others in the department and the community. He also volunteers for many events within the Tenderloin.

The department is working to support Elia’s family and his colleagues. Elia’s family asks, “Everyone to send good energy and prayers for his recovery, which we know will happen, because Elia is a survivor.”

Officer Lewin-Tankel’s family asks for privacy at this difficult time. The Media Relations Unit will provide updates on his condition as they become available.

Crime News & Tips
News Release