SFPD Take Suspect into Custody after a 22 Hour Stand Off


On Monday, July 11, 2016 at approximately 6:00 PM, San Francisco Police responded to a residence on the 500 block of Campbell Avenue to check on the well-being of a person who made several calls to 911. Dispatchers at the Department of Emergency Management were unable to determine the nature of the emergency and dispatched police officers to attempt to contact the caller.

Upon arrival, officers from Ingleside Police Station made contact with the occupant. They determined that he was in crisis and that he made threats to commit suicide.   Officers engaged the subject in conversation and requested assistance from the Department's Crisis Hostage Negotiation Team.  As officers were speaking with the subject, he threatened to blow up the residence.  Neighboring homes were evacuated, resources from the San Francisco Fire Department were also called to the scene and gas service to the residence was turned off.

As negotiators attempted to engage the subject, officers could hear crashing noises as he moved about the interior of the residence. At one point, the subject covered several windows, blocking one with a mattress.  Negotiators continued their efforts into the early hours of Tuesday morning and throughout Tuesday afternoon.   During the afternoon, the subject became agitated and began making suicidal threats again. At approximately 3:00 PM, the subject stepped through the living room window and onto a ledge, threatening to jump before retreating back into the residence.  He became increasingly agitated, throwing liquid bleach on the front gate and onto several officers who were positioned as an arrest team. Several officers were later treated to exposure to bleach, including one whose eyes were exposed to the caustic chemical.

The subject, Magnom F. Carolino, 51 of San Francisco, appeared to be drinking the bleach when officers moved in and took him into custody at approximately 3:43 PM. He was standing just inside the front door of the residence. Carolino was taken to a local hospital for treatment and was then booked into San Francisco County Jail for twelve counts of assault with a caustic chemical, twelve counts of aggravated assault on a peace officer, making a false report of a bomb and resisting arrest.

The officers were later treated and released with non-life threatening injuries. The SFPD Explosive Ordinance Disposal Unit searched the residence and determined there were no destructive devices present.

Monday’s incident involved several Crisis Intervention Team trained officers who worked to create time and distance and establish a rapport with the subject. The resolution of this standoff reflects the Department’s ongoing commitment to de-escalation tactics designed to bring such critical incidents to a peaceful conclusion, whenever possible.

Crime News & Tips
News Release