Incident Recap 900 Block of Pacific Ave

On June 3, 2016 at approximately 9:25 AM, San Francisco Police responded to the 900 block of Pacific regarding a hot prowl burglary. The elderly resident advised dispatch the suspect had broken into his home through the roof and is still inside. Upon arriving at the scene, officers made contact with the suspect who immediately fled into another room of the residence. Officers evacuated the elderly resident and attempted to make contact with the suspect a second time. At this point, it appears the suspect fired off a gunshot round and subsequently barricaded himself in the room. No officers or residents were hurt from the gunshot.   A perimeter was established, with officers from the Tactical Unit and Hostage Negotiation Team immediately responding to the area for the critical incident. The suspect made multiple threats to harm any officers who attempted to take him into custody and actively destroyed property inside the residence. Negotiations with the suspect continued for several hours into the afternoon.   At approximately 2:15 PM, the suspect exited the residence through a back window onto a balcony ledge. Officers ordered the suspect to surrender, but he failed to comply. Due to the suspect’s previous demonstration of violence, verbal threats of harm, and the possibility of him still being armed with a gun, officers deployed a flashbang grenade and higher-powered less lethal (bean-bag) rounds. The suspect then continued his escape by leaping from the ledge and jumping through the skylight of a second adjacent residence. The suspect then went through this residence, eventually running through the glass portion of the front door. The suspect, still covered in glass, entered a neighboring hair salon where citizens were present. The suspect began to attack the citizens and the officers attempting to take him into custody. The suspect violently resisted officers’ efforts through biting and spitting, causing numerous cuts, abrasions, and blood on blood contact. After his successful apprehension, the suspect was transported to a local hospital for treatment and medical clearance. Six officers sustained non-life threatening injuries and were transported to a local hospital for treatment and testing. One citizen sustained a non-life threatening shoulder injury that did not require immediate transport by paramedics.   The San Francisco Police Department would like to thank the public for their cooperation and patience in this incident. SFPD would also like to thank the San Francisco Fire Department and San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency for their assistance.   Although the suspect was taken into custody, anyone with information regarding this incident is encouraged to call Central Police Station at (415) 315-2400, the SFPD Anonymous Tip Line at (415) 575-4444, or text a tip to TIP411 with SFPD at the beginning of the message.

Crime News & Tips
News Release