General Information and Qualifications
The City and County of San Francisco invite you to join a highly respected police department and serve the citizens of one of the most beautiful cities in the world. San Francisco Police Officers perform a wide variety of duties to promote public safety and security, prevent crime, and enforce the law. Police officers perform a number of essential functions. For example, they patrol districts to prevent and detect crime; respond to calls for assistance; conduct criminal investigations; interact with the community to build cooperation and support; pursue and arrest suspects; enforce traffic and parking laws; write reports and maintain records; work with superiors, peers, and others as a team; prepare for and participate in planned events; prepare for court and give testimony; and fulfill other administrative duties when required. This is much more than a job; it is an opportunity to build a career of which you can be proud.
Eligibility Requirements (verified during Background Investigation)
- Be 21 years of age.
- There is no maximum age limit.
- Have not been convicted of a felony crime.
- Have not been convicted of an offense involving domestic violence.
- Have not been convicted of any misdemeanor, which carries a penalty of prohibiting ownership, possession, or control of a firearm.
- Have a U.S. High School Diploma, have passed a G.E.D. or the California High School Proficiency Examination, or have an AA or higher degree from an accredited college or university.
- Have a valid driver's license to operate an automobile.